Coventry University in England - Disability Sport Conference
From 23 August – 25 August 2012, the Centre for Peace and Reconciliation Studies and the International Wheelchair and Amputee Sports Federation will be hosting an international, inter-disciplinary conference for academics and practitioners.
The conference will focus on the use of disability sport as a tool for peace, development and social inclusion.
IWAS 60th Anniversary Banquet
The Conference will be held in Coventry Cathedral, which will be celebrating its 50th anniversary. Conference co-hosts IWAS will also be celebrating their 60th anniversary in 2012.
To mark these milestones the conference will include the IWAS 60th Anniversary Banquet, to be held in the Cathedral nave on the Saturday evening.
All conference participants are invited to attend and the cost is included in the conference fee.
The conference itself will be based around four main themes:
• Disability sport for peace and development
• Disability sport and social inclusion
• The recreational and psychological value of sport for people with disabilities
• Sport and health for people with disabilities
Possible areas for presentations include, but are not restricted to:
• Inclusive sports programmes and policies (recreational/school/city/national)
• Disability Sport as a tool for peace and development in post-conflict zones
• Sport as a tool for the rehabilitation of individuals disabled as a result of conflict
• Disability sport and its impact upon non-disabled perceptions of disability
• Disability sport and the Higher Education sports curriculum
• The potential economic and social impact of the London 2012 Paralympic Games
• Sport as a human right for people with disabilities
• Disability, sport and identity
• The impact of disability discrimination in the provision of sporting opportunities for people with disabilities
• Technology and disability sport: where does man become machine?
• Historical issues in disability sport and the Paralympic Games
• Media portrayals of disability and Paralympic sport
• The impact of sport on the health of people with disabilities
• The elite non-disabled sporting model and disability sport: impacts, problems and possibilities
• Marketing disability sport: problems and possibilities
• International perspectives on disability sport
There will also be opportunities for posters and suggestions for symposia.