Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Monday, June 06, 2011

TRO Conference was a Great Experience

I don't know how the Therapeutic Recreation Ontario (TRO) Conference could have been any better. First, 350 RTs from all over Ontario attended the sold-out conference. Second, the program was excellent and the sessions were professionally run (i.e., on time, good AV support, professional introductions, etc.). Third, Toronto is a wonderful city in which to hold a conference. Fourth,the Downtown Marriott - Eaten Centre is a great location to hold a conference. Fifth, the social program was super - including a cruise at night on the lake. Sixth, the food at breakfast, lunch, and dinner was well prepared and well served.

Most enjoyable of all, however, was the opportunity to interact with dedicated RTs who are enthuiastic about recreational therapy. What an outstanding group of professionals those Canadian RTs are!

Two thoughts come to my mind as I reflect on the TRO Conference. First, I hope that Canadian and US RTs should have greater interactions as I believe we can learn from them and they can learn from us.

Second, as a result of TRO, I'm very much looking forward to the ATRA Annual Conference in September. I believe ATRA in Indianapolis is building toward being a conference to remember. Indy is a wonderful conference city. I would like to think our ATRA Annual Conference will be as enjoyable as TRO Conference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home