Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Sunday, June 05, 2011

Newspaper Article Mentions RT

Thanks to Lisa Morgan, CTRS, for sending this along on the ATRAnet Listserv:

I would like to express my sincere thanks to the CTRS(s) that work at Children's Hospital in Atlanta. On the front page today of the Chattanooga Times Free Press (Chattanooga, Tennessee), there is a two page story on a young 8 year old who was drug on the ground quite a distance from his grandmother's trailer during our horrific tornadoes we experienced here on April 27th. This was the day that hundreds of lives were lost in Alabama, North Georgia, and Tennessee. (77 lives were lost here in the Chattanooga area).

This article mentions Recreational Therapy more than once in the article. Kudos to each of you (or if just one of you) for the fantastic work you are doing as it was highlighted in this incredible story. This poor little one lost his grandmother, great grandmother, step brother and cousin during this tragic experience.

I sincerely hope that the CTRS' from this hospital are on this listserve. If not, and if you by chance are reading this and know them, please pass on my sincere gratitude for their great work. So often times, all the other therapies are listed and highlighted in such articles. It was very clear to me though in this article, the Recreational Therapist(s) is a vital role in providing tremendous "active treatment" in this young fellow's recovery.

Many thanks!

Lisa Morgan, CTRS
Siskin Hospital for Physical Rehabilitation
Chattanooga, TN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home