Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

More on "Retail Therapy"

A couple of days ago, I promised to try to find more information on the study on "retail therapy." Unfortunately, I still have not been able to access the "retail therapy" research article in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. I was however able to find a US News and World Report story from which I can pass along some information.

The study was done wtih around 2,000 Taiwanese people over 65. Findings showed edlerly people who shop regularly live longer than those who do not shop regularly. Surprisingly, men seemed to benefit from the shopping more than women. The findings were attributed to the frequent shoppers getting more physical activity in the form of walking. Additionally, shopping provided an enjoyable activity that helped shoppers experience companionship and feel included in their community. It was also mentioned that frequent shopping for food may have brought about better nutrition.

If I can ever find the JECH article, I'll try to pass on more detail on the study -- but from what is known about the study now it appears that "retail therapy" may become an intervention to be used by RTs!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home