Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

ADA's 20th Anniversary is Monday

The 20th anniversary of ADA will be Monday, July 26th.

Disabiity.gov published the words of Guest Blogger Dick Thornburgh, Attorney General for President George H.W Bush. Here is part of Thornburgh's message:

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) afforded me a unique opportunity to merge my personal and official agendas. As the proud parent of my son, Peter, who has both intellectual and physical disabilities, I had a personal interest in seeing this important advance in disability rights enacted into law. As Attorney General of the United States, I had also been assigned by President George H. W. Bush to be the point person for the administration’s efforts to secure passage of this groundbreaking law.

None of us who were present for the signing of the ADA on July 26, 1990, will ever forget that day. Under a blazing summer sun, some 3,000 persons, with and without disabilities, gathered on the South Lawn of the White House and cheered and cheered as President Bush issued his stirring challenge “to let the shameful walls of exclusion finally come tumbling down.”

Happy 20th Birthday to the Americans with Disabilities Act!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home