Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Physical Activity, Mental Health, & RT

A couple of days ago, I had a post on physical activity and obesity. Today’s post is on physical activity and mental health.

In the June 2010 issue of the Monitor on Psychology there is an article titled, “Another Reason to Break a Sweat.” The subtitle reads: “In addition to boosting your brain power, exercise may fend off and even alleviate cognitive ills, including Alzheimer’s disease, research suggests.”

As have other research reviews, this article suggests that inactivity may lead to mental illnesses, such as depression, ADHD, and Alzheimer’s disease. Thus, an unhealthy body leads to an unhealthy mind.

I have had several posts on the RT Blog on the importance of RTs providing physical activities for clients. The research cited in the Monitor article once again points to the need for RTs to provide physical activities as interventions for clients.

For a more detailed literature review on physical activity and health, see Austin’s (2009) book Therapeutic Recreation Processes and Techniques.

1 Comments:

Blogger Danny Pettry said...

Dear Dr. Austin,

I read an interesting article on physical activity vs. sitting (passive) activitiy during leisure time.

They argue that sitting (being passive) can shorten a person's life span. They encourage people to get more physical activity.

1:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home