Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Friday, July 23, 2010

People Who Spend Leisure Sitting Die Soonest

A friend sent me an article from WebMD. The title of the article was : "Study: People Who Spend Most Leisure Time Sitting Die Soonest." I thought I'd share it on the RT Blog.

It seems that people who spend at least 6 hours of their daily leisure time sitting died sooner than people who sat less than 3 hours.

And those who both sit a great deal and don't exercise much ran even higher risks of death.

RTs might want to share this information with clients who may need to be motivated to get up and to exercise.

The study, by A.V. Patel, appeared in the July early online edition of the American Journal of Epiemiology.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home