Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Monday, July 20, 2009

Dr.Brown of the National Institute for Play

A former student, Nick, sent me an American Public Media radio interview with Stewart Brown, M.D. The interview was about play and was done for the program "Speaking of Faith." The interviewer was Krista Tippett.

I really enjoyed listening to the interview with Dr. Brown. It turns out he is a retired neurolgist/psychiatrist who has gained an interest in play. He has even done research on the lack of play as children of criminals who commit violent crimes. But it would seem that most of his knowledge of play is taken from animal play research of others. As I listened to Dr. Brown I could not help to wonder if he has become aquainted with studies done in recreation and leisure behavior.

Dr. Brown has started his own National Institute for Play. There is a website for the Institute if you want to check it out. I plan to try to find out more about the Institute and Dr. Brown and will let you know if I learn anything interesting.

1 Comments:

Blogger Danny Pettry said...

This does sound interesting.

I'd be interested in learning more.

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home