Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Saturday, June 06, 2009

RTV Video: "To Serve a Purpose"

Someone recently contacted me to tell me that they were going throught the RTV videos to view each of them. There is a website that lists all the RTV videos and gives a brief description of each. I'll plan to look up that address and pass it along -- but for now I thought I'd just post information about selected RTV videos so you may begin to learn the content of each and where you might use them.

The first video we made was "To Serve a Purpose." This video serves to provide an introduction to RT/TR. A number of facilities are visited and their programs are reviewed in order to acquaint viewers with where RT takes place and the types of programs that are provided.

"To Serve a Purpose" also goes over the "RT Process" of accessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation to introduce the concept that RT employs a goal-directed, systematic approch.

Finally, the video features related professionals (e.g., an OT, Medical Doctor,social worker) who speak of the value of RT in health care settings.

"To Serve a Purpose" is a good video to use in Introduction to RT/TR courses to introduce the profession to students.

1 Comments:

Blogger Danny Pettry said...

Hello there Dr. Austin...

I'm so glad to see these videos online.

Two of the ten recreational therapists at our facility have the "CTRS" credential. Licensure is not required to practice RT/TR in the state of W.Va.

I'm thinking about working with the admin. @ our hospital to develop a training program that would require all non-certified RTs to watch some of these videos withine a one-year timeframe and to pass a five or ten question exam.

What are your thoughts?

Danny

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home