Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Monday, January 26, 2009

Compton Now at IU

Dave Compton is now on the job as Chair of the Department of Recreation, Parks & Tourism at Indiana University. I had lunch with Dave today and learned that he has already begun to make strides at IU.

One thing he told me was that, despite the economic situation, IU continues to recruit a new RT/TR faculty member. Anyone coming to IU will be blessed to work with the current RT/TR faculty as Bryan and Marieke are the best.

I think Dave will be good for RT/TR at IU. His ties to public health and health promotion give him a perspective that should be supportive of RT/TR.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jerry Kelley said...

Just a quick note to support your initiative to change the name of the professional field from Therapeutic Recreation to Recreation Therapy. This is a "no-brainer" and is about 25 years overdue. The profession should understand your point that "recreation therapy" is much more reflective of what the profession is, or should be about. Also, RT helps to define boundaries and is an occupational title that others can understand and feel comfortable with

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home