Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Great Quote from Gary Robb -- Read It

My friend, Gary Robb, retired from his position as Director of the National Center for Accessibility (NCA) last year. I just came upon a NCA website announcing Gary's retirement. The quote below was from Gary reflecting on his career. The wisdom provided by Gary's quote I thought could be very helpful to others -- so I'm passing it along.

Here is the quote from Gary Robb reflecting on his career:

"I have always believed and felt that whatever contributions that I have made have been mostly because of the people that I have been fortunate to surround myself with. Success, however that is measured, is not due to my brilliance or intelligence, but is due to my ability to get people to believe in me, my passion for my work and in the greater societal outcomes that we will eventually achieve. Nelson Henderson once wrote, "The true meaning of life is to plant trees under whose shade you do not expect to sit." I at least feel like that is what I have tried to do. To put it another way (and I don't know who said this)--- You get the best efforts from others not by lighting a fire beneath them, but by building a fire within. That is what I believe I have been all about."

2 Comments:

Blogger JP Witman said...

Great quote! Gary followed it too bringing together talented people and creating synergy in all the leadership positions he held.

10:11 AM  
Blogger davidmcompton said...

Gary,

Those of who have worked with you know this to be true. Your passion carried the day for many brillinat projects.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home