Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Friday, January 23, 2009

University Program Closings -- A Concern

I've been thinking lately about the reduced numbers of university professional preparation programs in RT. I believe that the closing of university programs should be of great concern to those in the field -- particularly those in the states which have lost university programs.

I've been informed that the states of Georgia and Minnesota each only have one university that produces RTs. Further, I've been told that the lone universities in Georgia and Minnesota that prepare RTs each only have one RT educator. Do you find this troubling?

I wonder what can be done to support practitioners and the universities in these states? Perhaps ATRA Chapters in those areas can work to strengthen RT in their areas. Perhaps universities in neighboring states can help states which have lost professional preparation programs.

At any rate, I think the reduction in the numbers of university professional preparation programs is a topic that RTs should be talking about and coming up with ways to support practitioners in states that have lost university RT/TR programs. What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home