Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Friday, October 03, 2008

Positive Psychology and RT

I recently ran across a couple of quotes from positive psychology that seem to have application in RT.

The first is from Cowen and Kilmer's article in the Journal of Community Psychology (Vol.30, 2002, p. 450). They have written that positive psychology can be perceived as “health-building oriented rather than reactive, and repair or containment-oriented.”

Positive psychologists Linley and Joseph in their book titled Positive Psychology in Practice (2004, p.724) similarly have written that interventions “do not begin and end with the target of the client being symptom-free.”

How do you react to these quotes? Does RT go beyond symptom removal in its approach to clients?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home