Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Mid-Continent Policy for ATRA Conferences Proposed

In looking over the results of a mini-survey done by Charlie Dixon's TR Directory, one result caught my eye. Participants were asked which TR conference they planned to attend. The results follow:

Answer Votes %
ATRA Annual 17 - 20 %
NTRS/NRPA Congress 7 - 8.24 %
Regional TR Symposium 14 - 16.47 %
State TR Conference 37 - 43.53 %
None 10 - 11.76 %

While a small sample size, the results point out that by far the most popular national meeting is the ATRA Annual Conference. This year's ATRA Conference is going on right now.

With this year's location in Reno, I can't help wonder how well it is being attended. My guess is that attendance is down. Reno is simply too far away for the vast majority of RTs. RTs tend to be primarily be located in the midwest (e.g., Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, Iowa, Wisconsin) and the near south (e.g., North Carolina).

It seems to me that the profession would be much better served if ATRA held its Annual Conference in the mid-continent every-other-year. Having the conference relatively close to the majority of RTs would allow them to drive to the meeting.

History would indicate the mid-continent strategy is a good one. Some of the best attended ATRA Conferences have been held in the middle of the nation, in cities such as Nashville and Louisville. Also, for years the Midwest TR Symposium (typically held in Springfield, Illinois, or in Wisconsin), was the largest attended TR meeting. Again, these meetings were located close to the majority of RTs.

If ATRA really wishes to serve its members and the profession, it seems to me that it should adopt a policy of holding its Annual Conference in the mid-continent every-other-year. What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home