Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Time for Action by Universities?

The number of this fall’s RT faculty openings is growing. So far we have East Carolina, New Hampshire, Temple, and Utah. There are sure to be several openings announced in the days to come.

Even though there are a growing number of faculty openings, I wonder if we have well prepared individuals to fill these positions. I really worry about whether universities are producing enough high caliber Ph.D.’s to assume roles as scholars and leaders for our profession.

I would like to suggest that Ph.D. granting institutions meet during the upcoming ATRA Annual Conference in Reno, September 29 – October 2, to discuss the situation with the preparation of Ph.D.’s.

It may be time to form a consortium of Ph.D. granting universities to advance the quality and quantity of Ph.D.’s being prepared to assume critical faculty roles.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike Sutherland said...

I have wondered this in the past as well. I do not have a PhD but I have often imagined how great it would be to teach at a college or university.

I hope others who are qualified will fill these positions. I sometimes worry about the quality of our students. We need excellent professors running excellent programs. We also need curriculum reform to get some tougher coursework if we are going to keep up in the world of healthcare.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Danny Pettry said...

Hi there Dr. Austin,

This is Danny Pettry from Beckley, West Virginia.

As a reminder, I was in the last Soc. Psy. in TR Course you had at IU.

I wanted to let you know that I read your blog often as well.

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home