Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Higher Ed Marketeers Fail to Use Media

Campus Technology's News Update for February 27, 2007 reported:

"Despite the wave of social media such as FaceBook, blogs, and instant messaging invading higher ed campuses, fewer than 8 percent of higher-ed marketers use such alternative channels to reach prospective students, according to a recent survey by advertising and marketing firm Media Logic Inc.

Instead, e-mail is their application of choice--a medium that is being ignored by students. Among the findings from the survey of 120 higher education marketers, Media Logic reported that 95 percent have e-mail marketing in place, and 62 percent are using e-marketing to target alumni. But less than half are using e-marketing to reach current students, faculty, community, corporate, and other constituents."

Reading this survey data made me wonder if university RT programs are using FaceBook, blogs, and instant messaging or any kind of e-marketing to reach potential or current students. I also wonder how much university RT programs are using eletronic media to reach out to alums and agencies.

1 Comments:

Blogger Maryann said...

I was invited on Myspace to be friends with an RT student in another state. He had created the profile to network and connect with other RT students/professionals. I thought this was an effective, adaptive way to reach out to other RT's. I would have to say that marketers who reach out through email would only backfire for someone like me...I don't enjoy getting a lot of stuff in my email. However, if I had a place to go (i.e. a myspace page specifically geared towards networking on a certain subject), I would be more apt to visit it of my own volition.

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home