Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Monday, February 19, 2007

Curriculum Ideas Needed from RT Practitioners

Within ATRA, an active debate continues on: (a) how to move with RT accreditation ; and (b) what should be contained in university RT curricula. It is time for RT practitioners, who are engaged in practice, to speak up.

The accreditation question revolves not so much as to whether there should be accreditation of university RT professional preparation programs but who should conduct the accreditation program. One side says it should be the Council on Accrediation (COA) , administered by the National Recreation and Park Association. The COA program has a core of parks and recreation competencies and then treats RT as a subspecialization. The other position is that RT, as a health care profession, should have its own separate accreditation program.

The curriculum question asks exactly what those completing RT degrees should know and be able to do. What kinds of courses and competencies do RTs need?

If you are a practitioner, I would invite you to comment on this post. What do you think about accreditation and curriculum? I'm sure many regular readers of the RT Blog will want to know your views. And I'll be glad to see your comments are forwarded on to those working on accreditation/curriculum. Please let us hear from you. To enter your ideas, just click comments below.

2 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth HW said...

Accreditation - As much as I would like to see RT accredited separately, I feel that it's just not there yet. I feel the recognition/awareness isn't there. Maybe it's a case of the chicken and the egg. Maybe a separate accreditation program would lead to more respect. I know how I've been treated at various facilities and it's usually not good, even after I stand up for myself.

Curriculum - I feel strongly that undergraduate university curriculum needs to be standardized in some fashion. A separate accreditation program could be helpful with this. Simply put, students from different programs are learning different things and at different levels. Something to look into is doing some sort of rotation or requiring volunteering in various settings including mental health, long term care, rehab, etc. I could write all day on what competencies entry level practitioners need. Some that come to mind are creativity, problem solving, therapeutic process and group processing.

Elizabeth

1:20 PM  
Blogger kdcSRUTR said...

If possible i would like to get in contact and get information on this subject for a research paper. Any one who can help is invited to post on my blog. Thank you, and i look forward to hearing from everyone!

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home