Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Monday, February 12, 2007

A Research Idea

I recently ran across materials from a research study that a colleague and I reported on in Therapeutic Recreation Journal in 2000. The research was on the personality types of RT students using the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. It turned out that the primary personality type, by far, (24.7%) was ESFJ (Extraverted, Sensing, Feeling, Judging). This was followed by ENFP at 19.2%. No other personality type reached double figures.

In case you are wondering, ESFJ types are enthusiastic, social, and personable individuals who like being helpful and like to feel needed and appreciated. ENFP types also enjoy helping others. They have traits such as being caring, generous, and friendly. They have a zest for life.

Knowing the personality types of RT students can be highly useful to both counseling potential students for possible careers in RT and to knowing what approaches are best in teaching students with the primary personality types.

Since publishing our results, I have often wondered why others did not conduct follow-up studies on the personality types of RTs and RT students. It is certainly an under studied area. Perhaps a student or faculty member looking for a research idea may want to take a look at researching personality types in RT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home