Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Sunday, February 11, 2007

A Comment on RT Job Availability

I sometimes hear about a lack of RT openings. At the same time I see a number of position openings advertised (see my February 8, 2007, post for example on RTs openings in Indiana). Something just doesn't add up.

I was told recently that one psychiatric hospital had only 7 applicants for 2 RT openings. The relatively small number of applications would lead me to believe that there is not a shortage of jobs but a shortage of applicants.

Perhaps employers, ATRA, state RT associations, and universities all need to work harder at listing RT job openings. On the face of it, it appears that RTs and RT students are not getting information from the employers so they may apply in a timely fashion. What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home