Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

More Older Americans & Need for Training in Physical Activity

The CDC has reported that by 2030, the number of older Americans will have more than doubled to 70 million, or one in every five Americans. Although the risk of chronic illness and disability clearly increases with advancing age, poor health is not an inevitable consequence of aging.

Much of the illness, disability, and death associated with chronic disease is avoidable through known prevention measures, such as maintaining a healthy lifestyle that includes regular physical activity. This is another reason why university RT curricula must train students about physical fitness and how to conduct physical activities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home