Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Thursday, September 08, 2011

ATRA in Indy Registration Strong

I recently read that the preregistration for the ATRA Annual Conference to be held in Indianapolis later this month is very strong. Being a Hoosier, it pleases me that so many RTs are coming to Indiana.

When I was an ATRA officer, Mary Jean Erwin and I attempted to establish a "mid-continent strategy" whereby the ATRA Annual Conference would be held in the middle of the USA every other year. (With it alternating east and west the other years.)

The thought behind the "mid-continent strategy" was that most ATRA members are from this region (e.g., Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, North Carolina, etc.) so they could drive and we would attract more members to our conference.

The "mid-continent strategy" has proven itself again with the strong attendance in Indianapolis. Other ATRA Annual Conferences at mid-continent locations, such as Cincinnati, Louisville, and Nashville, have likewise attracted large numbers.

Even though ATRA did not adopt the "mid-continent strategy" while I was on the Board, perhaps it is time for the ATRA Board to reconsider it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home