Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Tai Chi seems to really be the "in thing"

I just received a mailing from the Consortium for Older Adult Wellness (whatever that is!) in which they promoted 5 different Tai Chi courses for instructors.

The 5 courses included: Tai Chi for Arthritis I Instructor Training; Tai Chi for Arthritis Recertification; Tai Chi for Arthritis Updates; Tai Chi for Diabetes Instructor Training; and Tai Chi for Osteoporosis Instructor Training.

Thus it seems Tai Chi must be gaining wide usage for arthritis, diabetes, and osteoporosis. Tai Chi has also been recommended for use with clients with Parkinson's (see March 13, 2011 post).

With the wide use of Tai Chi, perhaps university RT curricula should provide Tai Chi instruction for students. ATRA may wish to do a pre-conference workshop on Tai Chi.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home