Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

"Telerehab" and "Telehealth"

I've recently read articles about "Telerehabilitation" or "Telerehab" and "Telehealth." These are programs where therapists and/or doctors use the Internet to communicate with clients.

One research study found an Internet-based intervention could be as successful as conventional walking programs and there was less attrition when the element of online communities was added. The online communities provided social support for participants who could post and read messages of fellow participants.

The research was by C.R.Richardson, et. al, and was purblished in the Journal of Medical Internet Research in 2010.

Reading Richardson's study and other uses of the Internet made me wonder if any RTs have used Internet interventions. If you know of any, please comment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home