Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Don't Know Much About (RT) History

There is an article in this month's issue of the APA Monitor titled "Don't Know Much About History: Educators Worry that the History Course May Become a Thing of the Past."

The article laments that the history of psychology may not be as important in some circles as it once was. And that some colleges no longer require a history of psychology course for psychology majors.

As I read this article, I could not help but wonder if some in our profession may discount the value of studying the history of recreation therapy? If they do, it is too bad because much can be learned from knowing history - something RT historians such as Ann James and Jerry O'Morrow make clear with their statements in the beginning of the RTV video, "The History of Therapeutic Recreation, Parts I, II, III."

For those instructing university courses there are a number of video programs to use to aquaint students with our history. In addition to "The History of Therapeutic Recration, Parts I, II, III," there are three additional RTV video programs on our history.

The three are: "TR History: The Formative Years;" "TR History: The Modern Era;" and "Pioneers in Therapeutic Receation, Parts 1 & 2."

All four of these RTV video programs on history are available via streaming from the Indiana University Library at no cost. The address is https://scholarworks.iu.edu/dspace/handle/2022/3378

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home