Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Give Attention to Older Adult Population

I recently read two trends that point toward the need for RT students to receive specific training in working with older adults.

One trend was reported by the APA. This trend was that with the first Baby Boomers set to turn 65, the U.S. population of older adults is anticipated to more than double from 35 million in 2000 to 71.5 million in 2030.

The other trend was reported by the U.S. Department of Labor. This trend is that there is expected to be a growth in the number of recreational therapists working with older clients. So there will not only be a growing population of older adults but there will be positions available for RTs to work with them.

I hope RT faculty will give consideration to adding curricular requirements for students so they are well prepared to serve older clients in order to meet the trends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home