Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Do You Know About e-physician.info?

A recreational therapist in North Carolina contacted me following a couple of my posts that discussed possible shortages of RTs and the need to identify the supply of RTs available.

She suggested I take a look at e-physician.info

I just gave e-physician.info a quick look. I did an NPI (National Provider Identifier)search of health care providers in Indiana under the category of recreation therapists. Do you know what I found? I found a list of only 16 RTs! I did recognize some of the names, including Vicki Scott and Andy Brown. But come on, only 16!

On the e-physicaian.info wedsite it states all health care providers are elgible for NPIs. I wonder why more Hoosier RTs have not gotten listed. Perhaps, like me, they weren't aware of the list.

At any rate, the uninformed individual looking at the list of RTs in Indiana on e-physicaian.info might think there are only 16 RTs in the entire Hoosier state.

I want to learn more about the NPI system and will report on the RT Blog if I discover anything of interest. In the meanwhile, please comment on this post if you are acquainted with the NPI listing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Danny Pettry said...

Hi Dr. Austin…

I did a quick search on West Virginia at http://www.e-physician.info/

I discovered that only one recreation therapist was listed. I didn’t know the person.

I’m going to contact them and ask how they obtain their information.

I’m going to share this link and information with members of the West Virginia Therapeutic Recreation Association to see about having all WVTRA members listed.

Danny

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home