Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Is There Data on Availability of RTs in Indiana and Nationally?

I just received a press release titled "Governor signs HB1210 to address shortage of mental health professionals in Indiana."

The press release in part read:
"The Indiana General Assembly passed HB 1210. This bill creates mental health services development programs to provide incentives to attract psychiatrists, psychologists, psychiatric nurses, and public sector psychiatrists to practice in Indiana. It creates the mental health services development programs board to administer the programs."

Reading this on the heals of yesterday's post on possible RT shortages, made me wonder if we have data on the availability of recreational therapists in Indiana and nationally to work in mental health. I haven't seen such data. It would seem timely for someone to conduct a study to determine the availability of RTs in Indiana and nationally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home