Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Types of People and Turkeys Flying

I'm still clearning my home office. And I've found a lot of interesting things. I'll try to share some of them on the RT Blog.

Today I want to share some quotes from a talk I made in the Fall of 1986. The title was "Issues and Trends in TR."

One quote I used was from Ann Landers. It read: "There are only three types of people: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who say 'What happened?'"

I went on to give this unattributed quote: "Eagles will soar, you need to get the turkeys to fly."

I suggested that most RTs are those that make things happen and that they need to get the turkeys to fly!

I guess these quotes still pertain today. But does it seem to you that today we have more colleagues than ever who just watch things happen or ask "What happened?"

You eagles still have some work to do to get those turkeys to fly!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home