Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Chronic Illness and RT

I'm cleaning up my home office in anticipation of painting it and putting in new carpeting (after 20 some years of neglect!). In the process I found a chapter from a book titled Chronic Illness (Hyman & Corbin, 2001).

In chapter 1 of that book it is stated that by 2030 150 million Americans will have one or more chronic conditions -- and of those 42 million will have activity limitations. The author goes on to say: "Addressing their varied health care needs is one of the major challenges facing the present health care delivery system" (p.1).

This population of Americans with chronic illnesses is one that we RTs should focus on. What better profession than RT to help those with chronic conditions to lead full and productive lives!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home