Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Monday, February 02, 2009

February is Black History Month

February is Black History Month, a celebration of African American heritage, culture, and accomplishments. Many may not realize that one of the early pioneers in recreational therapy was African American. That was Ira Hutchinson.

In the mid-1960s, Ira Hutchinson served as the first President of the National Therapeutic Recreation Society (NTRS) and then as the first Executive Secretary for NTRS. Hutchinson later was a Founding Member of the American Therapeutic Recreation Association (ATRA).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home