Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Friday, November 21, 2008

Tai Chi Improves Sleep Study Finds

A recent study by Professor Michael Irwin of UCLA found that taking Tai Chi classes for 25 weeks produced significant improvements in the quality of the sleep of a group of older adults.

The citation for the study is: Irwin, M.R. (2008). Improving sleep quality in older adults with moderate sleep complaints: A randomized controlled trail of Tai Chi Chih. Sleep, 31(7), 1001.

Tai Chi has the potential to bring about a number of health related outcomes. For further information on the use of Tai Chi in RT see the section on Tai Chi in the facilitation techniques chapter in the book Therapeutic Recreation Processes and Techniques by David R. Austin (Sagamore Publishing, Inc.).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home