Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Friday, September 05, 2008

Need Strong RT Faculty

The post on Lou Powell's retirement made me think about the real shortage of Ph.D. prepared RT faculty. Our profession really needs well prepared individuals to fulfill faculty roles -- but today far too few are being produced.

If we do not have a strong pool of RT faculty, our profession will suffer greatly. University faculty provide the research and scholarlship so badly needed in this day of evidence-based practice. University faculty have also traditionally provided national leadership for our profession. In short, it is vital to our profession that we maintain a strong group of RT university faculty.

If you have thought about going back for your Ph.D., this is a great time. There has always been a shortage of RT faculty but with pending retirements employment opportuities will be even better.

I would challenge universities to step up their recruitment of Ph.D. students. RT faculty should realize the dire need for well prepared RT faculty better than anyone -- and should therefore work harder than ever to recruit top Ph.D. students.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home