Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Friday, August 29, 2008

How About a North American RT Week in February?

Did you know that Canada celebrates RT/TR Week in February? I always thought that we in the States should move RT/TR Week during the school year, rather than holding it in the summer when people are on vacation and university students are not on campus.

How about having a North American RT/TR Week and holding it in February. It makes sense for RTs in Canada and the USA to celebrate their week together at the same time. Having RT/TR Week in February will allow university faculty time to organize students for the week following the Christmas holiday break.

Taking this approach, I think, the profession will get far more attention. And it seems to me that we, in RT, should do more with our friends to the North. A good start would be celebrating RT/TR Week together. What do you think!

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike Sutherland said...

Interesting. I did not know this. It makes sense to me to have our recognition week during the school year when so much more could be done by our wonderful students!

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home