Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Judi Voelkl's Clemson Students

Last Thursday I had the priviledge of speaking in Professor Judi Voelkl's TR class at Clemson University. I can't tell you how impressed I was with Judi's students.

The students' comments showed they were extremely bright and articulate. They also seemed highly motivated to learn about the body of knowledge of their profession. In short, they were a wonderful group of young students.

Had you been there with me, I think you too would have been proud of having students like those at Clemson as a part of our profession. Just to be with these students gave me great hope for the future of our profession.

The topic of the presentation/discussion was my Health Protection/Health Promotion Model of Practice. As a part of the discussion I asked the students to evaluate my model. They generally liked it but presented some interesting questions -- particilarly about whether the model is a good match for application in long-term care facilities. When one of the students brought this up, I wasn't really sure if my model could readily be applied in such facilities. I think it can but I need to expliciately state how it may be used to guide practice in long-term care.

I must admit it was good to be back in a classroom. If you haven't spoken recently to a university class, I would suggest you think about doing so. I believe it will give you hope for the future of our profession, just as it did for me!

1 Comments:

Blogger genabelle said...

Just wanted to say hi, I was one of the grad students visiting Judi's class when you talked and I appreciate your kind words about our students. The blog looks great, I plan to read the meta-analysis article and appreciate the tip.

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home