Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Agree with Mike -- Good for NCTRC

Mike Sutherland commented on the actions of the NCTRC Board mentioned in yesterday's post. Mike said that he was I glad to see steps being taken to make the path for eligibility requirements more challenging -- and that he was also glad to hear of possible specialty certification.

I too was glad to learn the NCTRC Board endorsed the continued exploration of Specialty Certification by NCTRC. Specialization is how professions are advanced in their practice. It is time that RT recognized that fact and recognized specialization as a part of the certification system.

I was also pleased that the NCTRC Board also decided to investigate and develop a strategic action plan related to strengthening the eligibility requirements for NCTRC certification based upon the results of the 2007 NCTRC Job Analysis Study. This is a step forward. Perhaps NCTRC can improve RT curricula since university faculty cannot seem to do so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home