Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Mary Virginia Frye, 1918 - 2008

I recently learned of the death of Mary Virginia Frye. Thanks to Youngkhill Lee for informing me of her death.

Ginny Frye was my TR professor at the University of Illinois. She was a wonderful lady who I was very fond of. I owe her a great deal as she had a great influence on me. Ginny will go down in our history as the coauthor of the first textbook for our discipline.

Here is the obituary from the Ames, Iowa, newspaper:

Mary Virginia Frye
1918-2008

Mary Virginia Frye died Tuesday, June 17, at Green Hills Health Care Center, Ames.

Mary Virginia Frye was born Jan. 26, 1918, in West Bend to Ethel (Henry) and Arnold L. Frye. Known most of her life as Ginny, she grew up and was educated in Illinois, graduating from Bradley University in 1940. Following college, she taught for three years in public school and served 10 years as a Red Cross recreation director in military hospitals. Graduate study brought her to the University of Illinois, where she received master's and doctorate degrees in 1964. She was on the faculty for 15 years. In 1970, she returned to Iowa to develop a program in leisure studies at Iowa State University. She has been published widely in professional journals and authored a book, "Therapeutic Recreation: Its Theory, Philosophy and Practice." In 1981, she retired, moved to Green Hills Retirement Community in Ames and began to enjoy activities of the leisure class. She traveled globally and enjoyed visiting friends and relatives, bridge, concerts, and other community events. She volunteered with Brunnier Art Museum and the Farm House Museum, worked with foreign staff and students at the university and also at Mary Greeley Medical Center. She was a member of Collegiate Presbyterian Church and Chapter HO of P.E.O.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home