Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

M.S. in OT Required in 2007

I just saw in the morning paper that, beginning in 2007, occupational therapy will require a master's degree as the minimum educational requirement. This action should signal to universities with master's programs in RT that it is time for them to get together to: (a) set minimum standards for the RT master's degree; and (b) begin discussion of making the master's degree the minimum educational requirement for RTs.

Just last month there were two posts on the RT Blog regarding the requirement of the master's degree as an entry-level requirement for RTs. The dates of those posts were April 9 and April 13 if you want to have a look.

Who should begin discussion of advancing the RT master's degree? It seems to me that university RT faculty need to take the lead -- rather than waiting for NCTRC to do something. Further, it seems to me that the university programs who now produce the largest numbers of master's prepared RTs should come together to form a working group. Couldn't an organizational meeting of RT faculty be held at the ATRA Conference in Orlando?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home