Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Saturday, April 15, 2006

"Well, dearie, it's the sixties again."

As she headed into her 60s journalist Linda Ellerbee recalled that in her favorite birthday card a friend had written: "Well, dearie, it's the sixties again." "Right on" said Linda and as someone in his 60s I certainly appreciate the sentiment.

The 1960s were a different time. They rocked! We loved the new sounds of the Beatles (and Paul singing about when he was 64) and Little Richard -- and we were able to "twist again like we did last summer" with Fats. We had a sense of freedom that allowed us to experience a lot of new things. We were free to reach out, try new things (remember "free love") , and new ways of thinking. Rock music has perhaps come to best represent the freedom we felt back in the 1960s.

For those of us who are in our 60s it is fitting to relate to the 1960s and what they represented. Happily, most of us "old guys" today can enjoy the type of freedon we did as young people. With retirement we are again free to express ourselves -- to reach out, try new things, and new ways of thinking. I'm looking forward to exercising my new freedom to reach out to others (this blog for example), try new things (this blog for example!), and explore new ways of thinking about RT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home