Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Don't Know Much About History

Do you remember the line in a popular song that went "don't know much about history"? Well today's newspapers carried a story about high school students (seniors if I recall correctly) not knowing much U.S. history.

Reading the article brought to my mind the question, "Do RT students know much about RT history?" My guess is that they don't.

I would like to see a study done of RT students in the U.S. and Canada to determine their knowledge of RT history. Such as study would answer my question as to whether RT students know RT history and give us a good starting point to do a better job of teaching RT history if they, in fact, don't know much history.

By the way, there are 3 RT history videos available via streaming at no cost. To access them just go to the Recreation Therapy Videos at https://scholarworks.iu.edu/dspace/handle/2022/3378

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home