Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Sunday, May 01, 2011

Physical Exercise Improves Memory

Research has shown the effects of exercise on older adults (average age of 60) produced a positive result when subjects were tested for spatial memory. All improved but those who improved the most were those who walked around a track – rather than those who did yoga or resistance training.

In a story in the April, 2011, APA Monitor on Psychology, it was reported that the researchers concluded that any exercise is good for memory but walking may be the best exercise for age-related brain shrinkage.

Just one more piece of evidence to suggest that RTs working with older adults need to provide physical activity programs – and that walking is a good form of physical activity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home