Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Recreation Therapy Video Counts

The Indiana University Library recently sent me usage counts for the Recreation Therapy Videos. Unfortunately, due to a malfunction, counts were not available for the past few months. The data supplied were for June, 2009, to December of 2010. While incomplete, the counts provide a sense of which RTV videos are getting the most play.

Here are the “Top 10” usage counts:
“To Serve a Purpose” – 548
“Therapeutic Recreation History: The Modern Era” – 565
“Transfer Techniques” – 548
“Effective Listening” – 522
“Therapeutic Recreation History: The Formative Years” – 486
“Adaptive Equipment” – 381
“Case Studies” – 216
“Models of Practice: Health Protection/Health Promotion Model – 214
“Models of Practice: Leisure Ability Model” – 189
“Documentation and Behavioral Observation” – 185

It was no surprise that “To Serve a Purpose” lead the list. This video provides an introduction to recreational therapy/therapeutic recreation. I am pleased and puzzled that two of the history videos were in the top 5 in usage. I am pleased because it shows history is a topic of interest. But I am puzzled that the “History of Therapeutic Recreation: Parts I. II, III” did not receive more hits (It got 179) –as it provides the complete history of RT/TR and is one of the best videos in the series.

I am happy that many individuals (probably mostly students) are viewing the RTV videos. Students have mentioned to me that their instructors have had them view RTV videos both in class and as a homework assignment. Of course, those of us who worked on the RTV project would like even more viewers to take advantage of the RTV videos –so please do encourage their use.

Remember any of the 23 RTV videos may be viewed via streaming at no cost. Access to them is a free service of the Indiana University Library. To watch any of the RTV videos go to: https://scholarworks.iu.edu/dspace/handle/2022/3378

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home