Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Social Media Websites can Help and Harm Kids

Nanci Hellmich authored a USA TODAY article yesterday on possible effects of soical media on children. The article states "Facebook and other social media websites can enrich children's lives, but they could also be hazardous to their mental and physical health, says a report today from the American Academy of Pediatrics."

The article discusses a new phenomenon termed "Facebook depression," that children may get when they don't find social connections online. "Cyberbulling" is another concern that can lead to depression, anxiety, isolation, and even suicide, according to the article. "Sexting" is still another conern discussed in the article.

I wonder if RTs have had experiences with clients who have experienced "Facebook depression" or other problems as a result of social media. The area of social media seems like it may become an area that RTs will need to become more involved with in the future. What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home