Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Sunday, March 06, 2011

Activities Improve Sleep in Nursing Home and Assisted Living Residents

Thanks to Carla Tabourne, Ph.D., CTRS, via an ATRAnet post, I was alerted to the article “Strength Training, Walking and Social Activity Improve Sleep in Nursing Home and Assisted Living Residents: Randomized Controlled Trail,” that appeared in the February, 2011, issue of the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society (Vol. 59, No. 2).

The research team headed by Kathy C. Richards, Ph.D. wrote in their conclusion: “High-intensity physical resistance strength training and walking combined with social activities significantly improved sleep in nursing home and assisted living residents. The interventions by themselves did not have significant effects on sleep in this population.” (p. 214)

This seems to me to be good research to support Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) by RTs in long-term care facilities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home