Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

“Nature Prescriptions”

Yesterday there was an interesting article in USA Today newspaper titled “Program gives families ‘nature prescriptions’” on page 3A.

The article described a program funded by a two-year $75,000 grant project by the National Environmental Education Foundation to improve family health. The program has doctors direct families to eat better and to get involved in outdoor recreation activities in order to engage the families in healthy living. The families are given “prescriptions” that say “Rx for healthy and active outdoor living.”

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is a part of a consortium supporting the program. In the article, a Dr. Owyang, at Kaiser Permanente in Santa Clara, California,is mentioned as someone who has written 67 prescriptions to the Don Edwards Preserve.

I wonder if an RTs were involved in developing this program or have any firsthand knowledge of it?

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

wow. i think this prescriptions are great. This is I think more on prevention than cure.family doctors

4:36 PM  
Blogger Rene' said...

Oh this is great news! As a horticultural therapist (and CTRS) I will definitely check into this!

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home