Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Reactions to my New Book Lessons Learned

My personal reaction as the author of Lessons Learned: An Open Letter to Recreational Therapy Students and Practitioners: is that the book offers an entirely different approach from past RT books in that it uses a format of very brief chapters that raise issues as well as provide practical tips and advice. Tips and advice, by the way, gained from nearly 50 years in RT.

Here is what others have said about Lessons Learned: An Open Letter to Recreational Therapy Students and Practitioners:

From Professor Victoria Dawn Shelar, Ph.D., CTRS:
“The outstanding features of this text include personal insight by Dr. Austin based on decades of his passion for recreational therapy; 69 lessons (chapters) that cover a breadth of issues that all practitioners encounter during the course of their careers; and the manner in which the lessons are written provides an opportunity for readers to feel that it is written specifically for them from someone in the know.” (Taken from the back cover of Lessons Learned)

From practitioner Danny Pettry, M.S., CTRS: “I think this is a 5-star/ must-read book for any student in a TR/RT degree program or Recreational Therapist. If you've not done so already -- read this book.” (Taken from Danny’s Rec Therapy Blog)

From recreation therapist and webmaster of the TR/RT Directory Charlie Dixon: “This is an excellent read – every recreation therapist, either starting out or a veteran, should read this wonderful book.”

From Professor Kari Kensinger: “Great book, Dave.”

From practitioner Sally Brindle: “It is great! Especially for a new person in the field or one thinking of going in. It is telling me that I chose the field of RT for the right reasons.”

From Professor Youngkhill Lee: “I enjoy your new book a lot. Students like to read as each lesson was short but easy to read. Plus, they like it as you took a conversational style in your writing. We sometimes use 4-5 lessons at one time; at other time, we use 1-2 lessons. Last week, we talked about definitions of TR and the lessons 1-6 contain a lot of good stuff to talk. We'll be talking about practice models tomorrow. Again, your lessons include your thoughts and reflections on this matter and I am expecting lively discussions tomorrow. Again, thank you for writing this book for us.”

From practitioner Pam Higginbotham: " Awesome book!!!Thank you soo much again! Having learned the lessons now, so later on the mistakes are not repeated! :)"

From Professor Jeff Witman:
“I like the book Dave, important content presented in a thoughtful and engaging format. I've used several chapters as readings with my RT seminar students and plan to adopt it for my programming/leadership class next year. Appreciate all that you do for the field, Jeff.”

Copies of Lessons Learned may be purchased directly from Sagamore Publishing's website. Faculty may also request copies from Sagamore’s website. Amazon.com also offers the ebook version of the book.

Should you wish to share your reaction to Lessons Learned, please do contact me at daustin@indiana.edu

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home