Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Physical Activity and Professional Prep

Today I read a newspaper article on the benefits of exercise for the 77 million Baby Boomers, many of whom are challenged by disabilities and obesity. As I read about being active as a key to the aging Baby Boomers being as healthy as they can be, I thought of recent comments on the need to strengthen and standardize university RT curricula. I sure hope that our universities are preparing graduates in RT with the backgrounds and knowledge to deliver physical activity programs.

Years ago many RTs came out of college with degrees in physical education and, therefore, provided many physical activities for clients. It seems to me that we, as a profession, have gotten away from our P.E. roots as we have developed into a true profession with our own university professional preparation programs.

I hope that today’s university faculty have an appreciation of the need for their students to develop knowledge and skills to conduct physical activities for RT clients and will make sure that curricula offer opportunities for our students to develop themselves to deliver physical activity programs.

To me, strong professional preparation is the very foundation of our profession. Without well prepared RTs our profession will not flourish. In fact, it will decline. It is past time that our educators take their roles in curriculum development seriously and act to bring about some real curriculum reform not only in the area of physical activity but across the entire spectrum of professional preparation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home