Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Could We Do More in CE?

I recently read in the November issue of the APA Monitor magazine about the continuing education programs offered by the American Psychological Association.

What is available is extensive and includes:

DVD-based independent study programs.
Article-based independent study programs (e.g., ethics articles).
Book-based independent study programs (reading books from the profession).
Online Academy courses (e.g., competency-based clinical supervision).

Reading the continuing education offerings provided by APA made me wonder why RT does not have similar CE programs available.

Why don't we offer more easily accessible CE offerings? Couldn't ATRA profit from providing such services? And, more important, wouldn't practitioners have more opportunites for expanding their knowledge and skills?

It just seems to me that offering RTs more and easily consumed CE programs should be a priority. Providing this kind of service might be the best strategy for ATRA to increase its membership.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home