Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

ATRA Model Should Not be Accepted

I have expressed my view to the American Therapeutic Recreation Association leadership that the proposed model for our association should not be accepted. In fact, the notion of the model should not be taken forward and should be put to rest now.

Being "all things to all people," as stated by then NTRS president Gary Robb in the 1980s, is not a good idea and in no way defines our profession. And this is exactly what the proposed model does.

We should not repeat the mistake that was made when NTRS attempted to be "all things to all people." This approach was a major factor leading to the formation of ATRA. ATRA should now consider its roots and avoid making the same mistake. (For more detail on the formation of ATRA please see my early history of ATRA available via the ATRA website.)

I hope that whether you agree with me or not, that you will contact the ATRA Board to provide your view on the model -- and while you are at it please suggest that much more public debate transpire prior to any vote being taken on the proposed model. There is no rush at all for us to adopt the model and so much debate is needed prior to considering what I am sure is a bad idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home