Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

RT for Persons with Diabetes

Recently I've read newpaper accounts that state as many as 1 in 3 American adults may have diabetes by 2050. This would be a threefold increase. Today an estimated 24 million Americans have diabetes.

What does this say to RTs? I'm not an expert on diabetes but I would think that RTs who work in this area should step forward to take the lead in developing interventions for those with diabetes. And researchers should then test the interventions to determine their efficacy.

It seems to me that RT exercise programs for persons with diabetes could be developed and tested and the results published so that RT is seen as an option in treating diabetes. What do you think?

1 Comments:

Blogger Danny Pettry said...

I read that same article in the paper.

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home