Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Saturday, May 01, 2010

ATRAnet Listserv & the Celebration of RT

There has been a lot, and I mean a lot, of ideas expressed on the ATRAnet listserv regarding our annual celebration of RT. In the past "RT Week" has been celebrated in July (a tradition connected back to years ago when RT Week was made to coincide with park and recreation week which was celebrted in July).

Most agree that our celebration should be extended from a week to a month. This seems to be a good idea -- as the majority of professions take this approach.

There is also agreement that our celebration should be moved from the summer to the acdemic year. This way universities can become more involved.

A couple of years ago (check the RT Blog archives if you don't believe me :)), I had suggested we hold our celebration in conjunction with the Canadian Therapeutic Recreation Association (CTRS). I think they have their celebration in February. I still believe this is the way to go -- we should join with CTRS in having a North American RT Month. What say you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home